Thursday, November 24, 2011

Say What You Need To Say

My whole life I’ve been a fighter. If it was something that needed to be fought for; education, politics, farming, the environment, morals, anything, you could have probably found me making my mark. Everyone fights for something, you name it and somewhere someone is fighting for it. But then I realized I never fight for anything I personally want for myself. Hardly anyone does.  
This summer I had my first experience with actually telling someone what I want, it was kind of hard and didn't really go how I had planned, but when it was done, but when it was all said and done, the other person looked at me and said "you don't ever have to apologize for how you feel or for what you want. not to me, not to anyone" - these words really stuck with me and it was so refreshing to hear someone else validate what I had been trying to convince myself of for years.
It's still something I struggle with; fighting for what I personally want and putting my emotions on my sleeve, but ever since I've been making a conscious effort of it, I've realized things have actually been playing out in my favor.
 It might be really scary, and I might make a fool of myself, but I’ve decided it’s better to say too much than nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment