Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Visit to My Favorite Childhood Memory

Growing up, I looked forward to one thing every year...grandmas house.  My grandma lives up in the middle of nowhere, beautiful British Columbia, and every summer all of the cousins and aunts and uncles would meet there for a family reunion.  It was always a long drive, but stopping at the famous Ticklberry's Ice Cream place on Hwy 97 and the memories we would make during the week always made it worth it.
Grandmas place always seemed to be so magical; there was the little creek that ran through her property with an old A-frame alongside it, there was the garden that we used to pick vegetables and pick berries to make jam that we would later sell to our parents, there were the infamous tinker-toys that we could entertain ourselves with for hours, and the best part about grandmas...the goat-shed that we turned into a play house about 15 years ago.  This goat-shed was  the highlight of every summer, we added something to it every year, and it was where our imaginations were able to run wild.  We would usually pretend we were pilgrims and indians and had to fish and garden for our food - it was where all the magic happened for us.
As years went on we slowly grew out of the goat-shed, replacing it with time boating at a lake or tubing down a river, but we always managed to at least spend a little time in the place where some of our most fondest memories had taken place.
About 4 years ago we stopped being able to get all the cousins out there; we had jobs and summer school, and other summer travels that took away from our once upon a time treasured time there.  My grandma turned 90 this year, and with her getting older and there being no promise of another chance to spend a summer at grandmas, most of us grandkids made it a priority to make the trip this year! It took us right back and I'm so glad we were able to spend some time in our old stomping grounds.  It had been 4 years since I had been there, and everything seemed so much smaller, or maybe I was that much bigger, but the memories were still as vivid as ever.
No matter how old I get, or where my life takes me, my grandmas house and the goat-shed will always hold a special place in my heart; those are the memories I will cherish forever, and stories I will share with my own children.
Yumm :)

Memory Lane

Goat-shed 

Grandmas Creek

Just like old times :)

1 comment: