Tuesday, August 2, 2011

OASC Leadership and Beyond

I find myself lost in my thoughts as my last year as a Junior Counselor (JC) comes to an end.  I began my journey in OASC as a camper back in 2008; it would be my first and last year as a camper.  I had always been told I needed to go to this camp, that it would change my life and it's just something I HAD to experience because words couldn't describe it.  I had always been too busy and finally decided that I would go my last year...and I regretted not going throughout all of high school.  But, my journey wasn't exactly over -
I applied to be a JC the following year, not thinking I would get it because I was just a one-time camper and there were students who had attended for years.  I got my letter a few months later and found that I was right, I hadn't been accepted, but I would be put on a waiting list.  At a later OASC event one of the Senior Counselors pulled me aside and said that I should really apply the following year, I appreciated the encouragement, but when college began I seemed to put the thought of re-applying on a back burner; it wasn't until I got a message on facebook from that same counselor saying that the deadline was at the end of the week and he hadn't seen my application and was hoping I was still planning on applying.  I quickly got everything done for it and had it postmarked on the latest date possible! This year was my year though, I received my acceptance letter and was just so thrilled and tickled pink, but also a little nervous.
Last summer I experienced an even better year at camp than I had as a camper; I was able to give the campers what I had been given when I was in their shoes.  I learned so much!  From just being a better leader/counselor, to really getting in touch with my inner self.  I've grown so much over the past two years through OASC, and the people I have met along the way have really become my family.  I'll never forget my two councils: Green Flames of Inspiration, and Yellow Woody's of Integrity.  The memories of jr olympics, voices, boundary breaking, serenade, the talent shows, council challenge, all the dances, night lab, top 5, council time, and every other second I spent at camp will always bring a smile to my face no matter where I am or what is going on.
To all my Jacers, SCs, directors, and of course the incredible campers - thank you for some of the happiest and most memorable times of my life.  You all hold a special place in my heart and I love you all so incredibly much.
You haven't seen the last of me, I can promise you that! Whether it be on tech crew, the tech mom, the JC mentor, or even a weekly janitor, and hopefully sometime an SC; I'll be around :)
The incredible people I had the honor to work with during the week<3

My AMAZING council :)

No comments:

Post a Comment