Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Count Your Blessings

Ok, this may technically be a few days late...but when is it ever too late to count your blessings and be thankful?...never! And it's something we should all do a bit more often in our everyday lives.
This was my first Thanksgiving in about five years that I spent at home! My family usually goes up to my Aunts house for a big Thanksgiving, but because they moved it was just my immediate family at home this year - and I'm not complaining! Being away for college, it was really nice to go home! (Even if it was just for two days because of work).
I woke up late Thanksgiving morning to the smell of food my mom had already begun preparing, and both of our dogs were sleeping on the bed with me.  I just lied there for a few minutes, soaking in what had almost become unfamiliar to me.  I checked my phone and had received a lot of messages from friends and family saying how thankful and blessed they were to have me in their lives, I of course returned the deed. The dogs and I went downstairs to join the rest of my family in the living room where we all just relaxed and talked about different things we were thankful for.
It was a rather refreshing day, especially with finals coming up, and of course we celebrated with a large feast and then we ended the night with some family games and I trip to the local ice rink.
Why does Thanksgiving only happen once a year? Is it really too much to be thankful for all that we have and the people in our lives everyday? It's not...but we often take so much for granted and get so caught up in our lives that we forget about our blessings.
This is a challenge to myself and to each and everyone of you...make everyday Thanksgiving and go out of your way to make sure the people in your life know how much you appreciate them and how thankful you are for all that they do.  I don't think we realize just how big of a difference we can make.
-Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment