Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Ok, To Not Be OK

I was thinking back to this time last year, where I was in my life and my state-of-mind...
In high school I was what you could call an overachiever and I always had it all together.  I had this great life plan, given that plan was constantly changing, but I had a plan.  I had been looking forward to college so much with this feeling of excitement and 'I'm so done with high school' attitude for the later part of my senior year.  But as soon as I graduated it was if a lost myself in a lot of unknown and what-ifs.  I began to dread leaving for college, I just wanted to be done with school.  It got the best of my emotions, but something inside of me knew I had to give it a shot.
I moved and began to adjust to life on my own in a college town.  Things were going great until I started looking into majors and minors...everything I wanted to do wasn't seeming to find a way to be possible.  It was one of the more discouraging things I've gone through...not only did I not exactly want to be in college, but I couldn't take the classes I wanted because my school didn't offer the exact program, not to mention I felt like a number being in such a large school.
I went in to talk to one of my professors because I wasn't understanding his class, more so his ways of teaching.  Now I can't say he was any help when I asked him what exactly I should be studying and what I was supposed to be gaining from his class, but when he asked me how college in general was going I confessed that I felt completely hopeless and what I like to describe as a lost ship at sea.  It was causing a great deal of stress for  me.  He asked me some questions about my high school career and then humbly chuckled and said to me "You know, it's ok to not always be ok.  It's fall term of your freshmen year, I have not a doubt in my mind that you will 'figure it out' and find your place".
It was so refreshing to hear that from someone other than my family, and it got the wheels in my head spinning.  I thought deeply about what he had said over the next two days.  I love writing, it's something I find comfort in and  a way to express myself; because when I write, my words stare back at me.  
So this is what I came up with while thinking about my conversation with my professor...



Being a fighter isn’t easy, it’s actually really hard. Your courage isn’t always going to roar, but that’s ok; sometimes it’s just the little voice in your head that just keeps telling you to put one foot in front of the other and take life one step at a time, and to remember that every day is a new day with new chances, new opportunities, new people, and a new start.
It’s important to know that’s it ok, to not be ok. To just realize that eventually it will be ok. That you don’t have to have everything figured out and know it all…there’s some beauty in that mystery. You gotta have some faith; faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and receives the impossible.
All you need is courage and faith, they’ll make you the strongest you can be. Even if you don’t have much, just the smallest amount of them will get you through.


So to anyone who is, or ever has, felt lost and hopeless - remember that it's ok to not always be ok :)
Hope this helps.
-Steph

2 comments:

  1. Steph... I really needed that. Senior year is so stressful at the moment. I enjoy your encouragijng thoughts!!!

    Love Ya!
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie!!! Love your writing...your sharing!! Keep on going with it!! Wish we could see you and your family more!

    ReplyDelete